The man who killed a man and injured others at the Alamo has been arrested
SAN ANTONIO (AP) A man who shot and killed a homeless man and wounded others at a San Antonio park has been detained and is being investigated, police said.
The San Antonio Police Department said the suspect, 24-year-old David Denton, has been charged with two counts of capital murder.
He’s being held without bond at the San Antonio Municipal Jail and is scheduled to be arraigned on Tuesday in San Antonio.
Police identified the victim as 23-year, Christopher Hodge.
He was shot in the back and chest and died at a hospital, said Lt.
Scott Stapleton, a police spokesman.
Police said Hodge, who had been homeless for two years, had been shot by Denton after he shot him in the head at about 9:30 a.m.
Police said he died on the scene.
A witness said she saw a man run away from the park and then later saw Hodge shot and wounded.
Hodge had lived in the park for about a year, but was homeless and living in an RV in a field, said Sgt. Johnathan Smith, a San Antonio police spokesman, who added that he did not know if Hodge had recently been released from jail.
The man who died was identified as 33-year old Matthew Kinchen, who was found in a pool of blood on a dirt road near the park.
Kinchen was taken to the hospital in serious condition, Smith said.
A homeless man who was in a nearby trailer park when the shooting happened said he saw a homeless person running away from a home near the Almontas parking lot.
Police and paramedics tried to get him to hospital but he didn’t appear to be hurt, the witness said.
Denton was arrested about a half-hour after the shooting.
His lawyer did not immediately return a message seeking comment.